Donnerstag, September 13, 2007

Fasting and prayer

Today was the first day of Ramadan, a month of fasting, prayer and hospitality for muslims. I was thinking about joining the fast but then decided to stick to my personal fasting routine... But the beginning of Ramadan reminded me of the time I spent with my Turkish class in Istanbul in 2005, the picture was taken there as well - a different soup for every iftar, the time in the evening when the fast is broken. The restaurants had special iftar menues on offer and we saw a public distribution of food to people on the street. The month is also a time for giving to the needy.
For me fasting is a time to remember - God, people around me and always also the ones who go hungry - not voluntarily. During our travels we visited many countries in which most of the population has a muslim background and so I want to take time during the next 30 days to remember and pray for these places and the people we met (and places that I would still like to visit :-).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonym said...

Hey ihr beiden,

ganz liebe Grüsse aus Istanbul. ich studier hier an der gleichen Uni wie Anne und erkunde diese spannende Stadt... Hoffe euch gehts gut.
Wenn ihr Zeit habt, kommt doch mal auf Besuch!
Ist schön von euch zu lesen.

Ne Umarmung
Jana

7:33 AM  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home